Monday, September 20, 2004

First Post

At the advice of Nick, I've started a Peruvian and World travel Blog.
Hopefully this will inform others about life around the world as I travel and view it.
Right now, I am living in Cusco, Peru.
So, I guess this first chapter will be about my time here in Cusco.


WHY AM I HERE?

I am working for the Amazon Conservation Association. I'm managing a GIS database right now, but soon will be working on research and editing a book on the Cloud forest for ACA. I have been living here since early July this year and was here for 3 months in 2003, so I am pretty familiar with the area.

WHY AM I MAKING A BLOG?

Nick told me to. But seriously, I've been updating my picture page - HERE - care of Derek - homepage here - and failed to add enough of my thoughts. At the advice of many, I sought to create a page that would give those of you stuck in reality in the US a glimpse of a traveler's life.

WHO AM I?

In all reality, I am a cross-border Generation X/Yer, born and raised in Delaware and Southeastern Pennsylvania. I went to Wake Forest University where I majored in Biology with honors. I consider myself lucky in all that I've done, where I've gone, but also unlucky in that I haven't been able, until now, to document all I've seen. Granted, I've gotten some lucky opportunities in my life, now I'm trying to spread all that I've been giving by showing people on this blog what life is all about, or, at least in my opinion.

WHAT TO EXPECT

I am pretty unfamiliar with all this new Blog stuff, so don't expect too much out of me. I'm not a computer programmer. While I can classify with supervision a TM Landsat to show you vegetation patterns anywhere in the world, I haven't any idea what the hell JAVA is, or anything like that. So, I'm just going to post pictures, write a little bit every few days, and see what happens. If you like it, enjoy it. If not, don't read.


TODAY - September 20th, 2004


I have only 1 month left in Peru this time around until I come back in February. Today's topic was that every single 20-something year old working Peruvian girl (5) I've met has at least a 3 year old child and a deadbeat dad. With no legal requirement to pay child support, fathers disappear. And with such a conservative Catholic community here, there is virtually no contraception or abortion allowed. Two of these friends, Rosa and Tina, work 10 hour days and make less than 100 soles (about 30$) a month, and will continue their entire lives. Makes you wonder...


Today is Maria Elena's birthday, which means we'll be going out to Crosskeys for drinks. The Eagles game is on, and I've found one place in town that carries the signal. Expected prices:
  • Long Island at happy hour = 2 dollars
  • Large pizza - 15 soles = 4 dollars
  • taxis back and forth from town to my house and the office = 1 dollar
  • Large Beer = 1 dollar
That's all. Once I get a little more familiar with all this, I'm sure this site will be more interesting

~ D

No comments: