Thursday, September 23, 2004

Interview with a waitress:

Rosa Castro

works 8 hours a day - 9-5, monday through sunday, there are no free days. earnings = 300 soles a month

Do you like your job?

I like the job, but I'd like to get paid more. I like to work with people from other countries, tourists. They are more peaceful than Peruvians, they don't bother me as much. I like to learn different languages. I want to learn more about people from other countries.

What do you think about the US?

I have heard a lot about the US. There are many conflicts with the president and other countries? There is so much war. I don't like war. It is bad. It is the worst, the worst. The worst for everybody.

What do you think you would do if you were the president?

After 9/11 I would talk to the terrorists, but I understand that you cannot always do this. First I would talk to them, if at all possible, to see what they wanted.

What would you do after 9/11

I would kill the terrorists, just like Bush tried to do.

What do you think about the War?

I haven't heard much about that...only that there are wars there, but I don't know much. I though Saddam was very bad? They need a new government, there are many poor people. The US wants to govern Iraq?
ME: Kind of
Well, that's good. They have more money, they can help other countries right?

What do you think about your life?

It's good. I'm okay working here, I want to study more though still. I'm normal, kind of in the middle.

What do you think about your self-image/body?

I think that I'm a little fat, sometimes i don't want to eat, just so I don't get overweight. But I'm not totally preoccupied with this.

What type of food do you eat?

Vegetables, fish, sometimes meat, all things. I like candy, but I don't eat much. Sometimes I eat condiments, but most times no.
ME: Do you know what the food pyramid is?
No, I don't know what that is.
ME: Why don't you eat lots of sweets and chips?
I don't want to spend lots of money, and I don't want to gain weight.

What do you think about nature?

I like nature. Always I like to go to the country when I have free time. There's more space to do things, it is much cleaner than here. I have respect for nature, everyone should.
ME: If you had to pay higher taxes to clean up Cusco, would you?
If I had enough money, I would help pay for these taxes.

What would you do if you were a millionaire?

Travel a lot. I would buy a house and a car. I would pay for my brother to get through his school. I would buy clothes and presents for people in the country who are very poor. I would buy my parents what they need. I would continue with my studies though.

What do you think about religions?

I am Catholic. I don't think anything bad about other religions. People have the right to practice how they want. This is equal with race too.


That's what I have for today. More tomorrow....

2 comments:

Nick said...

I'm too lazy to use xe.com right now... How much in American dollars is 300 soles per month?

Nick said...

At the time of this posting, one United States dollar is equal to 3.35040 Peru Nuevos Soles.

So, to answer my own question, 300 soles per month is roughly equal to ninety dollars (US$90).